Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day Four -- Baby Steps

Oh buddy, I hate to tell you, but you live in Oregon. It rains here.

After begging to go back in (before going to the bathroom, mind you)...

He decided maybe he could just play on the stoop.

Had we had more time in the rain, I would have spent more time doing things he loves in the rain so he can change his association with it to something more happy. We did what we could but then the rain stopped.

He may figure out on his own that it's not such a bad thing. For now, he doesn't even want to go out if the ground is wet. Oh sir...

Life was grand once the ground dried up.

I think maybe he was practicing getting on this platform in case the floods came. He does have somewhat sensitive feet. We've been trimming a couple of nails a day to get him use to that handling. Getting him use to walking on a variety of surfaces would be beneficial as well.

He's not super thrilled with the treat on the nose trick. We're doing that in baby steps too. In the training world, we call those successive approximations. We reward each baby step until he is comfortable doing the entire trick. So, right now, we're just working on Indy being comfortable when I steady his nose. I don't put pressure on his mouth but he might be a little sensitive because he's cutting teeth.

But he says, "How about this one? I can do this one..."


His roll is coming along nicely too. He likes it. No surprise there with as much time as he spends sleeping on his back. I am teaching this command with a lure. In the beginning, I don't use the word "roll." I just shape the behavior I want. When the light bulb goes on and he starts to anticipate what I am going to have him do and he'll easily roll over each time I lure him, then I introduce the word. I always say the word first before I bring out the lure. If I brought the lure out first, he is unlikely to hear anything I say, being too focused on the treat and all. Lures are a fast way to teach a dog a skill but it's important to wean off of them pretty quickly so he doesn't become dependent on it. We are almost to the point of weaning off the lure to a hand signal.

I think at this point Indy wishes I would teach him to talk.

If he were able to talk...

I think he would probably say, "Can we keep him?" He and Remo get along very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment